In support of Can-Con 2012, the Ottawa Science Fiction Convention, Derek Kunsken, Matt Moore and Hayden Trenholm will be offering a 1-day writing workshop on science fiction, fantasy and horror.
- Derek has sold short fiction to Asimov’s Science Fiction, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, On Spec, Black Gate, sub-Terrain and Chilling Tales II, and is a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
- Matt’s fiction has been published in print, online and audio magazines and anthologies like the Tesseracts Series, On Spec, the Drabblecast and AE: The Canadian Science Fiction Review. His story “Touch the Sky” was nominated for the 2011 Aurora Award and he is the Marketing Director of ChiZine Publications, an award-winning horror press in Toronto.
- Hayden’s plays have been produced Alberta and Saskatchewan and on CBC radio and his short fiction has appeared in On Spec, TransVersions, Tesseracts6, Neo-Opsis, Challenging Destiny, Talebones, Gaslight Grimoire and on CBC radio. In 2008, he won the Aurora for his novella, “Like Water in the Desert,” and in 2011, he once again won an Aurora for his short story “The Burden of Fire.” His novels “Defining Diana,” “Steel Whispers,” and “Stealing Home” received Aurora nominations. “Stealing Home” was also a finalist in the 2011 Sunburst Award. He is currently he is editing a short fiction anthology, “Blood and Water,” for Bundoran Press. It will appear in August 2012.
The workshop will run from 10-5 on Sunday, 26 February, 2012, on the campus of the University of Ottawa (70 Laurier Ave E, Room 509, Ottawa) and is targeting writers of science fiction, fantasy and horror early in their careers who are looking to improve both their writing skills and knowledge of the publishing world. The workshop will focus on writing short stories but lessons learned can also be applied to the novel. We will use short lecture sessions, writing activities and group discussions. Topics will include:
- The writing life:
- Finding time to write in a busy schedule
- How to keep motivated despite setbacks and rejections
- What publishing will look like in the years to come
- The premise and story – the big picture of plotting
- The Grail of Originality and tips for the quest
- Quick and obvious editing techniques to polish your writing
- Wrap-up: Where you can find resources and information to improve your writing and stay motivated
To see what Matt, Derek and Hayden write, please see:
- “The God Thieves” in Beneath Ceaseless Skies http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/story.php?s=182
- “Getting High with Thomas the Apostle” in sub-Terrain http://subterrain.ca/magazine/49/subterrain-issue-52
- “Touch the Sky, They Say” in AESciFi http://aescifi.ca/index.php/fiction/35-short-stories/109-touch-the-sky-they-say
- “While Gabriel Slept” audio in Cast Macabre http://www.castmacabre.org/2011/01/cm30-while-gabriel-slept-by-matt-moore.html
- You can read “Iron Ties” (from Talebones) and “Symphony of Stones” (from Neo-Opsis) at www.haydentrenholm.com
The workshop will be limited to 20 participants, so reserve a spot early by emailing dkunsken (at ) hotmail . com. The cost for attending the workshop will be $40 and all proceeds go to support Can-Con 2012, a science fiction convention in Ottawa in September 21-23, 2012, a meeting place of fans as well as pro and semi-pro writers, editors and publishers. Check out Can-Can 2012 at www.can-con.org.